JAMAICA-INDECOM urges witnesses to help probe the 130th murder by security forces so far this year.

KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) on Monday urged persons who may have witnessed the shooting […]

JAMAICA-INDECOM urges witnesses to help probe the 130th murder by security forces so far this year.

INDECOM officials at press conference with homicide case board

KINGSTON, Jamaica, CMC – The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) on Monday urged persons who may have witnessed the shooting death of 45-year-old Latoya Bulgin, also known as “Buju” by police, to come forward and assist with their investigations.

Bulgin, a businesswoman and mother of two, was shot and killed on Sunday in Montego Bay, St. James, a prominent, suburban parish on Jamaica’s northwest coast.

Media reports said that she was among residents protesting the fatal shooting of 17-year-old Tjey Edwards when she was shot while seated behind the steering wheel of a vehicle and died while undergoing treatment at the hospital.

INDECOM said that the death of Bulgin increases the total fatal shootings for May 2026 to 15 persons who were fatally shot by the Security Forces, including the double fatal police shooting on May 16, in Trelawny.

“Year to date, 130 persons were shot and killed by the Security Forces, while comparatively in 2025 for the same period, 129 persons were shot and killed,” INDECOM said, noting that no body worn camera was issued to or worn by the three police officers who were reported as conducting crowd control duties, in relation to a protest, at the time of the fatal shooting of Bulgin.

In its statement, INDECOM, the state agency responsible for investigating actions by security forces and state agents that result in death, injury, or the abuse of citizens’ rights, said it has taken note of “the viral circulation of CCTV video footage” of the incident and that the emergence “of video evidence by citizens in matters involving the use of force by law enforcement continues to underscore the importance of technology and independent visual documentation in modern policing oversight.

“Such footage is often critical in providing context and perspective regarding the sequence of actions of both law enforcement and citizens, before, during, and after an incident. This context assists Investigators in assessing the conduct of all parties involved, as well as assessing the necessity and proportionality of the use of force.”

INDECOM said that, importantly, video footage also provides the Police High Command with an enhanced ability to make timely and informed administrative and operational decisions following incidents, including determinations relating to officer deployment, frontline assignments, and other immediate supervisory actions that may be considered necessary pending investigation outcomes.

“INDECOM wishes to remind the public that while video recordings may capture significant aspects of an incident, investigations require a comprehensive assessment of all available evidence, including official statements and witness accounts.

“The Commission is therefore appealing to members of the public, who may have witnessed any part of the incident, including persons who were traveling in the vehicle being driven by Miss Bulgin, to come forward and contact INDECOM. Any information and additional video footage relevant to the investigation remain critical in uncovering all the facts.”