“School Must Be a Safe Space”: Casimir Speaks on Classroom Incident Amid National Outcry

Education Minister Kenson Casimir says his “biggest concern” remains the safety and wellbeing of students as public outrage intensifies over an alleged classroom incident in which a teacher reportedly threw an object at a student, leaving the child with visible facial injuries. Photo courtesy: MBC Prime Speaking during Monday’s Pre-Cabinet Press Briefing, Casimir stressed that […] The post “School Must Be a Safe Space”: Casimir Speaks on Classroom Incident Amid National Outcry appeared first on Saint Lucia Daily Post.

“School Must Be a Safe Space”: Casimir Speaks on Classroom Incident Amid National Outcry

Education Minister Kenson Casimir says his “biggest concern” remains the safety and wellbeing of students as public outrage intensifies over an alleged classroom incident in which a teacher reportedly threw an object at a student, leaving the child with visible facial injuries.

Photo courtesy: MBC Prime

Speaking during Monday’s Pre-Cabinet Press Briefing, Casimir stressed that schools must remain safe environments for children and made it clear that he expects educators to uphold the highest standards of accountability.

“I stand firm in my belief that a school has to be a safe space for our children,” the Minister declared.

The matter has since been referred to the Public Service Commission for disciplinary review, with Casimir emphasizing that he will not interfere in the process but will monitor developments closely.

“I personally hold teachers to the highest standard of accountability. You are an adult… you have a certain level of responsibility in terms of being mentally ready to deal with children,” Casimir said.

At the same time, the Minister acknowledged the growing psychological pressure facing educators, revealing that the Ministry’s own counsellors warned that teacher mental health support must become a national priority alongside student welfare.

According to Casimir, the Ministry was advised to identify a respected regional counselor dedicated specifically to supporting teachers in managing high-stress classroom environments without compromising student safety.

The incident exploded into the public spotlight after the student’s mother went to the media, voicing frustration over what she described as the Ministry of Education’s initial handling of the matter.

Last week, Chief Education Officer Beverly Dieudonne stated that “initial reports indicate that the student was not seriously injured,” while reiterating that the Department of Education does not condone corporal punishment. The statement also appealed for the public to avoid making threats against individuals connected to the matter.

The controversy has since drawn sharp condemnation from the Saint Lucia National Youth Council (SLNYC), which described the teacher’s alleged actions as a “serious breach of the duty of care owed to every student.”

In a strongly worded statement issued Monday, the Council criticized what it viewed as an insufficiently urgent response from authorities and called for a thorough independent investigation, immediate safeguarding measures, and direct support for the affected family.

The SLNYC also urged the Ministry to publicly outline concrete steps aimed at preventing similar incidents from occurring in schools across the island.

The post “School Must Be a Safe Space”: Casimir Speaks on Classroom Incident Amid National Outcry appeared first on Saint Lucia Daily Post.