OPM to continue feeding flood-affected households in Zambezi

Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) says they will continue to provide for the 2 700 flood affected households in the Zambezi region for the next three months. The Zambezi region has experienced devastating annual floods this year, as well as flash floods due to heavy rains that have displaced residents and destroyed their crops. […] The post OPM to continue feeding flood-affected households in Zambezi appeared first on The Namibian.

OPM to continue feeding flood-affected households in Zambezi

Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) says they will continue to provide for the 2 700 flood affected households in the Zambezi region for the next three months.

The Zambezi region has experienced devastating annual floods this year, as well as flash floods due to heavy rains that have displaced residents and destroyed their crops.

This arrangement has started in March with the relocation of households and schools, especially in the Kabbe South and Kabbe North constituencies.
About 20 relocation camps have been created across the region.
Other affected constituencies are Linyanti, Katima Urban, Katima Rural, and Judea Lyamboloma.

Hydrological Services of Namibia reports a drastic decline in Zambezi River levels that stood at 5.73 meters as of last week.

OPM’s spokesperson Rhingo Mutamba told The Namibianon Sunday that they have already provided relief items both food and non-food items, to the affected households in the relocation camps.

“The government has again initiated the procurement process of procuring food supplies to cover a period of three months. We also further encourage private sectors and non-governmental organizations to complement the government efforts in assisting the affected households,” he said.

Zambezi regional director of planning, monitoring and rural development, Beaven Walubita told The Namibian that they are going to keep the residents in the relocation camps until the water completely subsides.

He added that the region has ran out of food supplies and is waiting on OPM to provide.

“The daily challenges are hunger, lack of sanitation especially the camps at Luhonono, Lusese and Kabbe. As of now we don’t anticipate more water to rise because it continues to subside drastically. When water subsides, everyone will be required to go back home. However, those who want land on upper land will have to request through the traditional authority as per procedure,” he said.

The post OPM to continue feeding flood-affected households in Zambezi appeared first on The Namibian.