Clapham High Street sealed off after man in his 70s fatally hit by HGV lorry

Just after 11am this morning, emergency services were called to Clapham High Street  after a man in his 70s had been hit by a HGV lorry. An air ambulance rushed …

Clapham High Street sealed off after man in his 70s fatally hit by HGV lorry

Just after 11am this morning, emergency services were called to Clapham High Street  after a man in his 70s had been hit by a HGV lorry.

An air ambulance rushed to the scene but despite the best efforts of paramedics, the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

Clapham High Street still remains closed and multiple bus routes have been diverted.

Police have made an appeal for witnesses and are asking anyone with dash cam footage to get in touch.

In an official statement,  Met Police spokesperson said:

“On Friday, 22 May at 11:03hrs, police were called to reports of a road traffic collision between a pedestrian and a HGV on Clapham High Street, SW4.

 

“Officers attended alongside the London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance.

 

“A man in his 70s was assessed and treated at the scene by paramedics. Despite the efforts of the emergency services, the man was sadly pronounced dead at 11:36hrs.

 

“His next-of-kin have been informed.

 

“An investigation is ongoing and anyone with information or dashcam footage is asked to contact police on 101, quoting CAD2859/22MAY26.

 

Alternatively, you can call the North Serious Collision Investigation Unit witness line on 0207 960 8044.”

 

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: “We were called at 11.05am today (22 May) to reports of a road traffic collision on Clapham High Street, SW4.

 

“We sent resources to the scene including ambulance crews, paramedics in fast response cars, an incident response officer and dispatched London’s Air Ambulance.

 

“Very sadly, despite the best efforts of our crews, a person was pronounced dead at the scene.”