National Youth Council speaks out on school incident
The Saint Lucia National Youth Council has condemned an incident in which a teacher allegedly hit a student in the face with an object. The council is urging the Department of Education to respond more quickly and take responsibility. The case has received national attention since appearing in local media last week. On Friday, the […] The article National Youth Council speaks out on school incident is from St. Lucia Times.

The Saint Lucia National Youth Council has condemned an incident in which a teacher allegedly hit a student in the face with an object. The council is urging the Department of Education to respond more quickly and take responsibility.
The case has received national attention since appearing in local media last week. On Friday, the department announced that an investigation had begun and that initial meetings had been held with those involved.
In a written statement, the SLNYC expressed “deep concern and unequivocal condemnation regarding the recent incident in which a teacher allegedly ‘hurled an object at a student’, resulting in visible injury.”
“This act, as described, represents a serious breach of the duty of care owed to every student within our education system,” the SLNYC said.
The statement continued: “We remain committed to ensuring that our teachers, likewise our students, must remain safe in spaces where young people are nurtured, protected and respected.”
The SLNYC also emphasised the important role teachers play in our lives, helping students learn beyond academic subjects.
“However, any alleged form of physical aggression by an educator is unacceptable and undermines the trust placed in our institutions by students, parents and the wider public,” the statement said.
The SLNYC also found it troubling that ministry officials have not fully accepted responsibility or shown the urgency and accountability this issue requires. “The response to incidents involving student welfare must be transparent, decisive and centred on the rights and dignity of the child,” the SLNYC said.
The SLNYC is calling for a thorough, independent and transparent investigation into the incident, along with immediate steps to protect the teachers, student and others involved. The organisation also wants clear accountability, including disciplinary action if needed, a public statement from the ministry about preventing similar incidents, and stronger policies and training for teachers on student engagement, conflict resolution and child protection.
“We also urge that the student and their family be provided with the necessary medical, psychological and social support during this time,” the SLNYC said.
The organisation said that it remains committed to advocating for the rights, safety and well-being of all young people.
“Incidents such as these must not be minimised or dismissed. Our education system must reflect the values of respect, care, and accountability that we seek to instil in our nation’s youth,” the statement concluded.
On Monday, Minister for Education Kenson Casimir also commented on the incident.
“My concern as a minister is for the biggest stakeholder in our education system. First and foremost, the safety and security of the child, the student, the pupil. I stand firm in my belief that a school has to be a safe space for our children,” Casimir said.
Stating that he was speaking more so as a parent, he added: “You want to know that when you turn your back, when you drop that child, that that child’s level of health, physically, mentally, is given all consideration by all and sundry and those that are given the responsibility to ensure that that child is being taken care of properly.”
The Minister said that teachers are the next key stakeholders, and he holds them to the highest standard of accountability.
“You are an adult. I personally would want for you to realise that you are an adult, and you have a certain level of responsibility, in terms of being mentally ready to deal with children and in discipline that you make sure that you’re responsible in every second of the day,” he said.
“I am someone who also believes in due process. You will never find me just coming here and saying ABCD should happen. I believe there is guidance in the legal documents of the ministry on dealing with conflict in schools and dealing with those issues, and I believe that, personally, we need to ensure that this is instituted.
“It has commenced. It has been ongoing, and I await the public service commission decision at the end as to how we deal with that issue,” Casimir stated.
The article National Youth Council speaks out on school incident is from St. Lucia Times.