Phones, Passport Withheld as Anita Among Blocked from Leaving Home
Security agencies have confiscated the phones and passport of former Speaker Anita Annet Among, effectively blocking her from leaving her residence as corruption investigations intensify, Daily Star has learned. According to highly placed sources, Among is currently restricted to her home as investigators deepen a widening probe that has rapidly escalated from targeted inquiries into […] The post Phones, Passport Withheld as Anita Among Blocked from Leaving Home appeared first on Daily Star.
Security agencies have confiscated the phones and passport of former Speaker Anita Annet Among, effectively blocking her from leaving her residence as corruption investigations intensify, Daily Star has learned.
According to highly placed sources, Among is currently restricted to her home as investigators deepen a widening probe that has rapidly escalated from targeted inquiries into a full-scale crackdown.
The latest move comes amid coordinated security operations that have now spread across multiple locations linked to the former Speaker, including Parliament itself.
Yesterday, a joint team of police and military investigators raided Among’s parliamentary offices on the fifth floor of the north wing at Parliament, sealing off the area and declaring it an active crime scene.
Access to the offices was immediately restricted, with security personnel controlling all movement in and out as investigators began combing through documents and electronic records.
Sources within Parliament described the operation as part of a broader investigation that began over the weekend, with authorities moving swiftly to secure what they believe could be critical evidence.
The parliamentary raid follows earlier searches conducted on Saturday at Among’s residences in Nakasero, Kigo, and Ntinda. During those operations, investigators reportedly seized materials that could form part of a potential prosecution case.
The probe has also extended to the home of her husband, Moses Magogo, signalling an expansion in the scope of the investigation.
The unfolding developments have sent shockwaves through Parliament, triggering visible unease among both political and administrative staff.
At least one senior official, Chris Obore, has already been arrested, while several others are said to be under active scrutiny.
Insiders describe a climate of growing anxiety, with some parliamentary staff and legislators retreating from public visibility. Several have reportedly made their social media accounts private, while others, particularly those previously seen as close to Among, have quietly distanced themselves, including removing her images from their profiles in what appears to be a rapid shift in political alignment.
The intensifying investigation comes just days after Among withdrew from the race for Speaker of Parliament, a move widely interpreted as a response to mounting pressure from the unfolding probe.
In a statement issued earlier, she said her decision followed “wide consultations and deep introspection” and was intended to preserve unity within the ruling National Resistance Movement.
“I wish to draw the attention of the public to matters regarding the Speakership race. After wide consultations and deep introspection, and to maintain harmony and clarity in my beloved party, the National Resistance Movement, I wish to categorically and unequivocally state that I will not be offering myself for the Speakership of the 12th Parliament,” she said.
Despite the sweeping nature of the operations, authorities have yet to publicly disclose the specific allegations at the centre of the investigation.
However, the scale, coordination, and speed of the security actions suggest a case of significant political and legal weight, with potential far-reaching implications.
By press time, security remained heavily deployed at Parliament, with the affected offices still sealed off as investigators continued their work, underscoring a probe that is not only expanding, but gathering momentum at the highest levels of government.
The post Phones, Passport Withheld as Anita Among Blocked from Leaving Home appeared first on Daily Star.